Table of Contents
Top 5 Mistakes That Result in Shipping Damage
#1. Oversized Packaging
#2. No Proper Fillers
#4. Incorrect Documentation
#5. Environmental Factors
Tips to Prevent Shipping Damage
#1. Make Smart Packaging Decision
#2. Ensure Clear Labelling on Your Package
#3. Check the State of Your Package Before and After Shipping
Ways a Dimensioning System Can Help You Claim Shipping Damages
- Accurate Documentation of Package Dimensions An automated dimensioning system delivers precise and accurate measurements of your packages prior to shipment. This data serves as a baseline for assessing damages accurately.
- Visual Proof through Images and Time Stamped Video Documentation Dimensioning systems that are equipped with the ability to capture images and timestamped videos of packages provide visual evidence of the package’s condition before it leaves the facility.
What is the difference between DIM weight and actual weight?
The actual weight is the exact weight of the product.
DIM weight also called volumetric weight calculates the amount of space a package occupies to its actual weight.
What is DIM weight pricing?
DIM weight pricing is a shipping calculation method that considers the volume of a package in addition to its actual weight. This pricing structure is used by many major shipping carriers, including UPS, FedEx, and the USPS.
Why is DIM weight pricing important?
It is important because helps shipping carriers to accurately calculate the shipping cost as it reflects the actual resources used by the carrier. Furthermore, it encourages shippers to use appropriately sized packages.
How to calculate dimensional weight?
Dimensional weight of the package = L * W * H / Dimensional Divisor
The dimensional divisor is carrier-specific. They vary from carrier to carrier.
How can I avoid overpaying for DIM weight pricing?
- Measure your packages accurately before shipping them.
- Use packaging that is the right size for your products, without any extra space.
- Negotiate with your shipping carrier if possible.